Monday, July 5, 2010

Donate blood!

what a busy weekend I had!

So it is official I crossed #8) Donate Blood off my list

On Thursday July 1st, 2010 I donated blood. It wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. The people that worked there we so nice, I felt like I was getting 5-star treatment, which makes sense because I they want to treat people really nice so they will donate blood again. When I arrived they took my picture so in the next few weeks I will get a blood card in the mail that I can show if I donate blood again. When I first checked in these two girls came in to donate blood, they told me the worst part of the whole thing would be the finger prick. Which I disagree, the finger prick wasn't that bad. They had to prick my finger to make sure my white blood cell count was good. If it wasn't then I wouldn't be able to donate blood. The nurse said my white blood cell count was really good. So then I was off to donate blood, I was a little nervous, but they made me feel very comfortable. There was a nice chair to lay on when they were drawing my blood. The part I disliked the most was the part when the needle was in my arm. I hate the sensation of a needle inside my arm, I hated it two years ago when I had an IV in my arm when I broke my arm. I just wanted the needle to get out of my arm asap. I thought seeing the blood come out of me would freak me out, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since the blood flows out in a tube into the bag, it doesn't look as scary. It only lasted about 10-15 minutes. And they gave me a can of pop as soon as it was over, so my blood sugar would get back to normal. I was surprised that I didn't feel like I was going to pass out after wards. The girl right next to me who was getting her blood drawn did pass out though. When I was in the same room with her, she said that she was getting very dizzy. And then when I was in the other room eating cookies, I she came out and told her friend that she passed out. I'm glad that didn't witness that, it probably would of freaked me out. When I left I got a tee-shirt, and when I looked in the mirror, I looked like pale death. My armed hurt a little after wards, but not to bad. Overall the experience was not bad at all, and I feel great that a part of me will be used to help other people. I might even donate blood again, we'll see. Though I have to wait 46 days or something until I donate blood again. I'm curious to know what blood type I am, I think I am a type O (either positive or negative). I'll find out when I get my little card in the mail.

Here is some evidence that I donated blood:

This is my awesome green bandage I got from where they took the blood out:



Here is a pic of me with my First time blood donnor sticker:



And my awesome free t-shirt I got for donating blood:

No comments:

Post a Comment